- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units, including the Office of the President; the Independent Development Evaluation Department; the Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; the Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; the Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; the Administrative Tribunal; the Office of the Auditor General; the Group Risk Management Directorate; the General Counsel and Legal Services Department; the Communication and External Relations Department; the Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department
- The purpose of the Communication and External Relations Department is to plan, prepare and implement public relations and institutional communication programs designed to make the Bank better known by its various audiences so as to promote social and economic development in Africa, and to establish and maintain the Bank’s credibility and good reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution.
- The Department is also responsible for enabling the Bank to understand better how the institution is perceived both internally and externally.
- Under the general guidance and supervision of the Division Manager Media and External Relations, PCER.1, the incumbent will be responsible for improving operational outcomes, as well as to raise awareness and understanding about, and improve the image of, the Bank in the region .
- In collaboration with other colleagues from the Communication and External Relations Department (PCER), the Regional Communication Officer will conceptualize, plan and implement outreach and communication plans targeting other Bank departments, Governments, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), the private sector, think tanks , media, academia etc.
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager Media and External Relations, PCER.1, the Regional Communication Officer has the following responsibilities:
- Design and implement communication plans, including financial estimates, for the Bank’s events in the region based on the Regional Directorate’s annual work program.
- Coordinate the work of all communications experts, consultants, communications assistants and service providers working for the Regional Directorate and country offices in the region.
- Help establish framework contracts with key providers in the region (production houses, photo/video coverage providers, events companies).
- Assist and/or represent the Director General and the Regional Directorate in meetings relating to communication and partnerships.
- Assist with high-profile visits from the Bank’s senior management to the region.
- Ensure strategic and timely flow of information and key messages about the Bank’s work in the region, its operations, and its analytical work to key external and internal audiences.
- Design and maintain in a usable format a mailing list of all Bank’s stakeholders in the region: government, executing agencies, development partners, influence private sectors, media, NGOs, academia, social mediars, among others.
- Provide strategic advice to the Regional Directorate Management on high-profile or sensitive internal or external communications issues, including reputational risks.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Regional Directorate Management on communication.
- Initiate and sustain effective professional relationships with key internal and/or external constituencies (particularly, Governments and their agencies, Parliamentarians, media, civil society, NGOs, academia, and the private sector).
- Identify opportunities for and forge strategic partnerships both inside and outside the Bank to improve dialogue and outreach (including joint seminars and press events) and to strengthen the Bank’s overall effectiveness and image.
- Write and/or oversee the preparation, production, and dissemination of both routine and complex outreach products (eg, backgrounders, media packets, news releases, op-eds/articles, radio/TV broadcasts, PowerPoint presentations, brochures, Q&As, videos, websites, speeches, briefing notes, feature stories, etc.) that promote the image of the Bank, its lending and non-lending work to key internal and external audiences in the region.
- Develop creative and engaging feature and human-interest stories, blogs, profiles, and other materials for internal and external publication.
- Contribute to the production of a regular high quality online newsletter about the Bank’s regional achievements and initiatives and disseminate it to key audiences in the region.
- Coordinate all the Regional Directorate’s publications, from the initial word version to the final printed products, in close coordination with PCER graphic design team.
- Enhance and regularly update the Bank’s web pages dedicated to its lending and non-lending work in the region.
External Relations, Media Relations and Social Media:
- Establish strong media relations with key (executives, editors, reporters, foreign correspondents) in each of the countries in the region.
- In cooperation with the Human Resources Department and PCER management, identify media training needs for the Regional Directorate’s management team, sector experts, project managers and country economists, and effectively counsel/coach them in their delivery of messages to a variety of constituents, even on challenging topics.
- Organize physical or online regular media opportunities for the Director General and country managers in the region (briefing sessions, media breakfasts / luncheons, press conferences, among others).
- With permission from the Director of Communication and External Relations, publish timely and high quality Op-Eds in local media in the regions on important occasions (corporate campaigns, high-level events, flagship initiatives, among others).
- Organize on a regular basis media trips to the flagship successful projects in each of the countries covered by the Regional Directorate.
- Organize non-media visits and trips to the Bank’s projects in the region: donors, civil society, Parliamentarians, opinion leaders, partners.
- Collaborate with government officials, international development institutions, business associations, Parliaments, civil society organizations, the academia… in the organization of events and activities, as well as advocacy and exchange of information to ensure a positive image of the Bank and its lending and non -lending work in the region.
- With guidance from PCER media relations team, pitch stories and respond to incoming media queries.
- Under the guidance of PCER Social Media Officer(s), prepare well written content (editorial and multimedia) or repurpose existing content for social media use (excerpts from long videos, narrative update to published success stories).
- In coordination with the PCER multimedia team, produce on a regular cost-effective basis short multimedia pieces to use on the Bank’s website and social media platforms: light video interviews, audio recordings and podcasts, parallax-animated pictures…
- Coordinate the multimedia coverage of light events happening in the regional: signing ceremonies, visits of delegations, town halls, important meetings… offices in coordination with PCER multimedia team.
- Prepare with task managers an annual list of mature projects for video filming, with a view to inform PCER management on multimedia production opportunities (video and photo) in the region.
- Coordinate all the Regional Directorate’s movies, from script to production and delivery of the final cut, in close cooperation with PCER multimedia team.
- Help PCER filming crew get filming authorization in the countries under the incumbent’s purview.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold a Master’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Social Sciences, Literature or related field.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years’ experience of professional experience in public relations, media or communications activities
- A very deep knowledge of the media and political landscape of the region is also essential.
- Experience with communication agencies would be an additional asset.
- Knowledge of operational processes of institutions such as the AfDB would be an additional asset.
- A proven track record of working for multilateral development banks or international companies, government, NGO or a reputable private sector organization, with hands-on exposure to the following areas: media relations, development communication, corporate communication, executive communication
- Ability to drive a high volume of work to completion.
- Proven record of achievements in development/project communication, with a focus on results, as well as in partnerships and outreach.
- Sound knowledge of development issues in Africa, in particular agriculture, food security, climate change, infrastructure, and gender.
- Demon diplomaticstrated political awareness and ability to verbally handle sensitive situations with target audiences.
- Proven the ability to design and implement communication strategies and outreach materials, including corporate, development and project communications.
- Ability to use standard communication IT tools and to run tactical plans to implement complex communication plans.
- Ability to understand technical and business concepts and express these concepts in clear, concise instructions.
- Proven experience in newsletter management and event management from a communication perspective (virtual press conferences, meetings and presentations).
- Experience in proof-reading, editing and in managing publication projects.
- Experience in scriptwriting and multimedia production.
- Ability to manage technical crews (photo, video, audio)
- Very good understanding of desktop publishing software such as Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator or equivalent.
- Very good command of content management systems such as Typo3, Drupal or Joomla, social media tools and processes audio processing software
- Proficiency with online e-mail marketing programs and presentation software.
- Proven ability to operate on various platforms and systems (Apple, Windows, Android).
- Detail oriented and excellent follow-through skills.
- Delivery on assigned tasks in a timely manner with no or little supervision.
- Problem Solving.
- Client Orientation.
- Team working and relations.
- Demonstrated ability to be part of a fast-paced team.
- Ability to effectively work under pressure on multiple projects simultaneously while meeting tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated writing, editing and communication skills in English and/or French would be an added advantage. Writing, editing and communication skills in one of the most used local languages in the region will be an additional asset.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint.)
Click Here To Apply